Mariners Analysis

Friday, June 11, 2004

The guys at U.S.S. Mariner are sure worked up

Wow, lots of energy at U.S.S. Mariner- ripping on Stark, ripping on Neyer. Personally, I read both the articles and didn't see what the fuss was all about. Maybe I need more coffee or something.

So we have this HUGE series with Montreal tonight, and I am guessing parking won't be a problem? We haven't had a matchup like this in a long time in Seattle- the two worst teams in all of baseball playing right here at Safeco. What do you think, is it worth paying $7 for a beer to sit and watch Randy Winn play center? Or Edgar strike out? Or some no-name Expo's pitcher having a terrible year throw a complete game shutout?

What we should have to look forward to is seeing Clint pitch again, and perhaps get a glimpse into the future of the Mariners. Instead, I have yet another issue to raise with Bob. Why are you not using this time to evaluate talent? If Clint pitches great, it might make you feel better about trading Freddy. Or maybe not, but it sure helps Clint stay in a routine. Given it is such a long season, and your #1 starter is over 40, would it kill the guys to give them an extra day of rest here and there. Instead of giving your frontline starters rest, you decide to push back Clint's start to next Wednesday.

Let's look at Bob's use of Clint. He calls him up, and then has him sit on the bench. When he finally gets in the game, he hadn't pitched in 10 days.

He then is finally given the chance to start, and he pitches well.

Now, you are going to have him go from a Monday start, and then pitch the following Wednesday. Or will you have him pitch in relief this weekend?

I don't know, maybe I'm making too big a deal about this, and rookies are meant to be abused. I just think they should be looking real hard at what they have, before they are able to make informed decisions about this team come the trade deadline. But hey, that's just me.

After all, I think they should be playing Strong in center tonight, so what do I know.

On another note, it was nice to hear the Gillick interview this morning on KJR. Pat didn't really have much to say, and Mitch went pretty easy on him I thought. He tended to focus on the dilemma Pat faced in signing guys like Olerud and Boone, where he'd get ripped if he didn't sign him, and ripped when he did and they aged too soon.

I don't have an issue with Gillick regarding Jon and Bret. They are big boys, making a lot of money, and they are not performing. In those cases, I blame the players. Where I have an issue with Pat is not making any deals at the deadline, having poor drafts, not interviewing experienced managers when Lou left, not giving guys in AAA a chance to help the club, not having a plan for the future, not trying to sign big-name free agents when you had the money, staying in Toronto during the trade deadline last year...

I could go on, but I think Mitch sort of missed the pulse of the fan when it comes to problems with Gillick.

Let me know if I'm wrong, but those are the problems I have with the GM of this club.