Mariners Analysis

Monday, June 07, 2004

Just to make the M's look like even bigger idiots

Will Carlos Guillen be playing in the All Star game? Look at his current line in Detroit-

.325\.402\.560 \.961

With 8 home runs and 35 RBIs, these look like All Star numbers to me. If Pudge were to get hurt, he almost certainly would be the Tigers representative. These are better numbers than anyone on the M's roster right now. He's going to get my vote if he continues (Michael Young has better hitters around him, and gets to play in Arlington). Carlos, I hope I see you get the managers pick, you deserve it.

BTW- update on the M's draft. Overall strategy appears to be college position players. Through the 10th round, they have two pitchers- the rest are every day players. Hmmm. Have to give the thumbs up so far, as it's a sound strategy given the current farm system. (It's not like I've seen any of these players play, so all we can do is look at overall thought behind the draft.)

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the gamble for Tuiasasopo will be a good one. Do not think for a second he won't sign. The M's will wrap this one up quick.