Mariners Analysis

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Quick thoughts on last nights game

A few things that struck me about last nights game:

- I wonder if Melvin still thinks Villone is the teams "MVP."

- Let's hope Anaheim wins the West. Oakland fans simply don't deserve to see their team in the playoffs. Can you imagine if the M's were at home fighting for a playoff spot and Safeco was only half full? I can't either, and the fans simply don't support the A's enough to deserve seeing them get swept by the Yanks.

- Melvin and the entire Seattle FO are complete idiots for running up Bobby's pitch count time and time again. I don't care how much Bobby wanted a complete game; that's why we pay our manager to make those decisions. Bobby can have a complete game when he enters the 9th with under 100 pitches. He is far and away our most promising pitcher for next year, and there is simply no reason to have him risk injury like that. Have the Mariners already forgotten what happened with Soriano? He pitched all year and got hurt. It's not rocket-science folks, let's err on the side of caution during this dismal season.

- Kudos to the Yanks for yesterdays sweep over the Twins. They reminded me again how they always find a way to win. I am rooting against them in the playoffs, but I do admire their ability to beat find a way to win. I cannot wait for the playoffs to get started.

- I want the Cubs to make the playoffs, but the truth is they are simply a huge disappointment this year. They simply don't deserve to make the playoffs with the way they can't score runs.