Mariners Analysis

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Mariners sign Betancourt

The M's today signed Yuniesky Betancourt to the 40 man roster- link

In order to make room on the roster, the M's DFA Aaron Looper. Bavasi seems to like him quite a bit-

"Yuniesky is an athletic, offensive shortstop," Bavasi said. "We view him as the equivalent of a first or second round draft pick."

Honestly, what little I know of Betancourt leads me to believe he is quite a bit lower than that, but my overall view of Cuban position players is not real high right now. Perhaps he will change my opinion.

Getting rid of Looper is actually a good thing. The M's have a logjam of upper-20's pitchers who aren't quite good enough to help the club, but might somewhere else. It is better for the M's to get younger, and the kids to get a chance in another system.

This overall is a good move by Bavasi, but I don't have info on why we needed to add him to the 40 man roster. I'm guessing it was a condition on signing him.

Perhaps Hargrove will see him as his backup infielder if he has a strong Spring Training? Might this spell the end of Willie?

Stay tuned...