Mariners Analysis

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

M's attendance

Watching the game last night, when I wasn't screaming at the M's for putting in Thornton, I noticed a lot of green seats.

You know, with no one in them.

And I'm not talking about the top of the 300 level, I'm talking about plenty of empty seats everywhere in the stadium. The announced attendance was over 28,000, but that is sold tickets. The number of people who actually showed up couldn't have topped 25,000.

The M's estimate of 2.5 million fans may not be as far off as we imagine. Of course it is still early and if the M's play well, attendance will swell in the summer. But if I'm Howard, I have to be a little alarmed at the huge dropoff in the second game of the season.

Let's hope the M's get their act together, top to bottom, and limit the amount of screaming I have to do...