Mariners Analysis

Friday, July 08, 2005

What is the plan for Miguel Olivo?

I don't really question the M's daily moves too much. If there is a player that I think should be traded, I will say so. If there is a player I think they should acquire, or a trade they shouldn't have made, I have no problem giving my opinion. But most of the day to day stuff I leave to Hargrove and Bavasi. I'm not going to pretend to know the ins and outs of the club and every one of its players.

However, for the life of me, I cannot figure out what the heck the M's are thinking when it comes to Olivo.

He originally was the prized talent acquired when the M's dumped Garcia. He was an everyday catcher who had a great arm and would replace the aging Wilson. It was fairly hard to get too worked up over losing Garcia when you had a starting CF in Reed and an everday catcher in Olivo.

We all know of course that Olivo has struggled mightily since joining the M's. In fact, struggling isn't a strong enough word. In terms of hitting, you really couldn't do much worse than Olivo has done. Rick Ankiel could hit better than Olivo right now. He is hitting at a level you expect pitchers to hit in the NL. He is an automatic out roughly 17 out of 20 times he comes to the plate. He is a black hole who gives the other team only 23 outs they need to worry about, and on top of that he can't catch either!!

I fully supported the M's when sent Olivo down. I think he should have stayed down until he figured something out, or the M's traded him. It seemed simple enough. Heck Rivera, who is on the 40 man roster was FAR outperforming Olivo, regardless of what you thought of Rivera as a catcher.

So when the M's decided to bring Olivo up, only to sit on the bench and back up a 42 year old Crash Davis, what is the plan?? I just don't see how this is helping the M's, Olivo, Rivera or anyone else for that matter.

Having Olivo sit on the bench, not playing, not getting better, is just plain idiotic. It is unexplainable, indefensible- heck, I feel like Jesse Jackson here- just plain dumb.

Can anyone else explain the plan for Olivo, and how he will become a better catcher?

Right now, I think Hargrove and Bavasi are making a big mistake with the way they are handling his career.