Mariners Analysis

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Tied with Tampa

When I first heard the M's were tied with Tampa in the loss column, at first I sort of shrugged my shoulders. I mean we all know the M's stink.

But then I thought about it some more. I then realized just how bad this team really is.

Tampa Bay, with a sub-$30 million payroll, with a manager who basically has quit on the team since mid-season, has the same number of wins as the Seattle Mariners.

This is going to be a LONG offseason. We all know starting pitching is our biggest need. We also know our offense stinks. We know our GM has a spotty record at best with trades, and we have little in the farm system that is close to helping in '06.

This team needs some major creativity if it hopes to compete with Oakland, Texas and Anaheim next season. And right now, it is hard to see who will supply the creativity and energy required to rebuild this team.