Mariners Analysis

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Angels clearly robbed

While I should be rooting for Chicago for a number of reasons, I can't help but feel bad for the Southern California, Orange County, Los Angeles-whatever-they-call-themselves Angels and that 9th inning call.

What are the chances an ump blows a call in the bottom of the 9th inning, with two outs and the scored tied 1-1?

Pretty good it turns out!

It just adds to what makes baseball interesting. Human error and failure is a big part of the game (e.g. laughing at Pay-Rod during post season).

That aside, it would be nice if the Ump could have been an actual human being after the game and just told the truth.

What he should have said was, "Look, I've seen it on TV and he clearly catches the ball. Unfortunately when you are behind the plate, there is no way I can easily tell if he trapped the ball. I might have blown the call, and I'm sorry this had to happen."

Instead he is evasive and tries to act like he was "following the book."

If he wanted to get the call right, he could have walked out to First and LOOKED AT THE BASEBALL. I mean they replace every ball that actually touches the dirt on each pitch. A quick look at the ball would likely show if it had indeed smashed into the ground at 90-some-odd mph, but of course he didn't do that.

He also doesn't need to make an "out" sign with his arm when a batter strikes out, UNLESS HE ACTUALLY IS CALLING HIM OUT.

But again, Angels fans already know all this.

Should be a fun series- I'm now guessing the Angels are pissed and this might work in there favor.

I'll predict Angels in 7.