Mariners Analysis

Friday, August 25, 2006

Broussard trade looks even better

When the trade of Choo and Broussard was announced, I was convinced the PTBNL had to be significant. After all, Broussard is a quality major league player right now, while Choo basically hopes to become a player as accomplished as Ben. I figured Bavasi had to sweeten the pot somehow.

With the remaining player in the trade being Shawn Nottingham, I can relax. This to me cements the deal squarely in Bavasi's favor. The M's got a quality left-handed bat in return for a player (Choo) who didn't really fit into the teams plans.

When we evaluate Bavasi's trades, this one looks good to me. Choo's line the last week-
.167/.286/.333

We did not trade a future superstar away, and his numbers will return to earth shortly.

Oh yeah, and congrats to the team for taking 2 of 3 from the Yankees. I still see 90 losses in the future, but am overjoyed when we take a series from NY.